Unlikely Valentines

Today’s blog post is inspired by Susanna Leonard Hill’s valentine contest. She challenged participants to write a children’s story in poetry or prose about unlikely Valentines–in less than 200 words. Here’s my attempt:

UNDERWATER BLISS

A shark saw his mark when he spied a wee fish,
‘I’ll have her for my dinner. She’ll make a tasty dish.’
But as the shark gave chase, the stronger his emotion
Changed from one of hunger, to love and pure devotion.
‘Look at how she swims. She darts with style and grace.’
Each swish of her tail, made his ol’ heart race.
‘Your eyes are round and beautiful, your scales are just divine.
I promise not to eat you, if you promise to be mine.’
The fish, who’d tired of swimming, succumbed to his charm.
And as the shark promised, she never came to harm.
But she’s ever so careful when she gives her love a kiss,
Lest those razor sharp teeth of his accidentally miss.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Unlikely Valentines

1. This is terrific, Rebecca! What fun! And very unlikely indeed! Well done, and thanks so much for joining in the contest – I’m glad you were inspired :)

2. Wonderful story. I love the shark tooth ending, what fun.

3. Love! Love! Love! it Rebecca. I’m so glad you joined the contest.

• Rebecca Colby says:

Love, love, love your poem too! Thanks for the heads up about the contest. I’ve been following Susanna’s blog but it wasn’t until you shared the link that I decided to spend my Sunday morning composing a poem (instead of working on my PB submission for the crit group). :)

4. Cathy Mealey says:

I love it! Reminds me of that great shark support group refrain from “Finding Nemo”:

“Fish are friends, not food!”

• Rebecca Colby says:

Such a great film! I watched it nearly five times through on a flight to Australia once, thanks to the two year old sitting on my lap. Or I use her as my excuse, at any rate. The story line must be locked in my subconscious. Thanks for your comment, Cathy!

5. wow! that was super, I loved it. Such an unlikely Valentine. Lovely to read Rebecca.

6. Really cute and creative! Great job on your third ever blog post! I’m impressed.

7. HA! Loved your ending, Rebecca. Well done!

8. Natalie says:

Great Job Rebecca! Loved your story! FUN!!! I especially loved your ending–so funny!

9. Rebecca Fyfe says:

Love it! It’s fun and cute at the same time!

10. Heather says:

What fun! I love the last line. Excellent entry!

11. Tracy Bermeo says:

I love it! Great poem.

12. Hi Rebecca!
    Love the poem! So full of suspense…what will happen? So full of humor…especially the ending!
    Welcome to the blogosphere…glad you’ve hopped aboard…get ready for a wonderfully wild ride. :)

• admin says:

Thanks, Vivian! I’m not sure about the whole blogging thing. I see it as a big distraction from writing. But in this case, it inspired me.

13. tinamcho says:

Very cute poem!! Happy Valentine’s Day!

14. Now that IS an unlikely Valentine!! Great poem! :)

15. Hannah says:

Well done! Love the ending. Twilight for fish. :)

16. admin says:

I like that analogy! :) Thanks, Hannah!

17. Julie Rowan-Zoch says:

Quite enjoyed your Valentine – am head over fin!

18. admin says:

Ha! Good one! Thanks for your comment, Julie!

19. What a terrific poem — love the cautious ending! Very unlikely pair. Great entry.

20. admin says:

Thanks, Patricia! Btw, just had a look at your blog. A wealth of information there on books that truly help children. Definitely one to follow!

21. Love these unlikely Valentines.

• Rebecca Colby says:

Loved yours too! I think there needs to be a mustard chocolate bar actually. If chili chocolate can work, surely mustard chocolate can too. Hope you got lots of both for V. Day!

22. lol, loved it. I’m glad he didn’t end up eating her.

23. clarbojahn says:

Thanks for commenting on my story which enabled me to find you quickly. I think this so clever and awesome! I keep reading better and better valentine day stories for the contest. It’ll be hard for Susanna to pick the winner I think. Thanks for sharing. It was fun to do wasn’t it?

• Rebecca Colby says:

Yes, it was! And I don’t know about you, but as I mentioned above, I don’t often find writing fun–only the act of having written. Thanks for your kind comments, Clarike!

24. ben says:

lol! Whats love without a little danger, eh?

25. The rhythm and rhyme of your poem were spot on! I enjoyed reading it aloud!

26. Amy D. says:

oh yes, the last line is perfect! Great job, Rebecca!

27. Greetings!

I am hopping over from GUTGAA and trying to visit some blogs before the fun begins. Nice to meet you…you have a lovely blog!

Donna L Martin